Saturday, September 26, 2009

The Feminist Equation

I was browsing the internet to find something interesting to post tonight. I thought I could report on something historic, recent news, or give my thoughts on a quote. Well, that idea is shot, because I discovered something even more interesting... what normal people think of feminism.

Now when I say normal, I mean people (and I'm assuming they are men) who go to school, work, and have regular interaction with both strong and timid women. Just so everyone knows, the quotes I'm going to comment on come from urbandictionary.com. I know, I know -- that isn't a site you really want to quote, but if you think about it, any average Joe or Joan can add an entry. Therefore, these posts are personal opinions, not polished quips. It's a window into someone's mind. So let's get started! Here's quote number one:

"Feminism is a federally funded, politically correct, special interest hate group."

Hate group? How is a collection of women promoting the idea of equality a hate group? I can't even comprehend how the vigor behind the feminist movement can be compared to the aggression of extremist and supremacy organizations.

But don't think I'm taking the "hate group" part out of proportion. Listen to what another contributor wrote:

"Now [feminism] is equal to Nazism in it's zealous pursuit to destroy all that is manly..."

It then goes on to give a dialogue between a feminist and the writer:

"Feminist -- Who cares that the movement is nothing but reverse discrimination, as long as my daughter gets more opportunities than my son!"

Me -- And that's why feminism is good?!?! You know who else tried shit like this? Hitler, that's who..."

Blood boiling yet? From what I gather, all feminists loathe men, choose daughters over sons, and if we continue on our path of equality, we are Nazis. Sounds to me like someone's got the wrong idea about us. Let me just say, however, there are those of us who can be radical bra-burners and man-haters but certainly not all of us! So let me just proclaim this: I like men! I like minorities! I am a feminist! I am NOT a Nazi!

Is it too much to ask that my mother, my sister, my friends, and my daughters receive equal educations, equal pay, and equality under the law as compared to men?

And last but not least, the equation that should not be overlooked. For those of you who appreciate mathematics, here is how feminism is summed up:

"F = (A + B) - C Feminism equals Avarice plus Bigotry minus Conscience."

What the hell?! I lack a conscience because women have been submissive for millenia and I want to change that? I am greedy because I want the world to be fair? And of course, the age-old idea that feminists are man-haters who want to cut off every man's penis arises yet again.

You know what? I'm going to redefine this little equation for us...

F = (A + V) - C Feminism equals A Vital Cause.

There! Take that!

Anyway, there are hundreds more opinions on feminism at urbandictionary.com. Check them out! See what your peers are saying about you and consider how you can communicate the difference between extremist misandrists and strong feminists!

No comments:

Post a Comment